Sunday, September 03, 2006

Change in the Weather

I just checked the forecasts and learned that for the next few days the high temp will be only in the high 60s (F). It seems a little early for that shift to cooler weather, but I expect it's only for a few days. We've been getting cooler overnight temps for the past few weeks, but the days have still been quite warm.

Fall is one of my favorite seasons. I love the cooler weather. I love the days when the sun is warm but the wind is cold. I love layering clothing, wearing sweaters and scarves and warm socks, going for a walk around one of the lakes. I even love the days after most of the leaves have turned and fallen away from the trees. To some it is barren and bleak; to me it is different kind of beauty. There is something about the melancholy of cool air and the spiky branches of trees outlined against the colors of the evening sky.

Yesterday it rained nearly all day. It was a soaking rain, steady and quiet, and everything was cooler. It was a grey day, and I sat inside with my knitting and a good book (Portuguese Irregular Verbs, by Alexander McCall Smith), and my dog Charka curled up beside me.

Finally, a break from the summer heat. I'm ready for the change.

No comments: