Thursday, November 02, 2006

Marathon Days

Yesterday was quite the marathon. I worked at both of my jobs (for a total of 11 hours paid time) and then went to choir practice for the first time in years. Let's just say I was in bed by 9:00 a.m.

Poor Charka dog felt so lonely that she actually got into bed with us (thank heaven for king-sized beds). In fact, she snuggled up next to me so I could pet her as I was falling asleep. I don't know when she got off the bed, but she was gone by the time I woke this morning.

Today will be somewhat the same. I'm working only my full-time job today, but I have a workout at 4:00 p.m. and then I'm going to knitting until about 7:30 or 8:00 p.m. Charka will probably want to be all snuggly again tonight, poor thing.

Ed is being wonderfully supportive as I go through all of this craziness: Writing, knitting, working, exercising, and now singing in a church choir.

By the way, choir was fun last night. It was the first time I'd been singing in choir for about 10 years, I think. I just remember that the last time was at a Methodist church (and I bailed about this time of year because they had scheduled a zillion extra choral events in the month of December), and I think it was in 1997. Anyway, I was quite surprised to learn how much out of practice I was! I used to be able to sight read (notes, rhythms, words) without any effort at all; I used to be able to sing the high notes (the g above the c that is an octave above middle c) as easily as breathing. Oi! What a challenge that was last night!

It won't take long to get it all back, though. My nervous system will recall the discreet adjustments required for changing from note to note, my brain will open up the pathways to the section that parses rhythms, and my throat muscles will loosen up enough to be flexible for reaching the extremes of my range. It's an odd feeling, though, to recall being able to do something but to have the body not cooperate!

The people at First Central Congregational were quite nice. In fact, they were warm without being cloying. On first impressions alone, I was impressed. This seems to be a good group of people to be around.

Now, I should do some writing again...

No comments: