Friday, July 13, 2007

Paraskavedekatriaphobia

That's an irrational fear of Friday the 13th (the date, not the films -- which were enough to send anyone screaming from the theaters, not because they were frightening but because they were frighteningly bad, but that's another story).

According to an item in USA Today, this phobia affects approximately 21 million people in the USA (although the source for this statistic isn't sharing his/her data).

Personally, I'd not have known it was "Friday the 13th" until someone or something (such as an article in USA Today) pointed it out. In my mind, today is not a bad luck day. It's the 13th of the month.

And, as it turns out, the 13th of July is also the wedding anniversary of one of my sisters and her husband, and to them I wish all happiness and good health.

2 comments:

MandellaUK said...

My friend's first grandchild was born at 9.30 am today. All through her DIL's pregnancy she's been petrified the baby would be born on Friday 13th.

Alcariel said...

Have you read HP7 yet? I'm sure you have, but was just wondering since you haven't posted about it.