Monday, March 03, 2008

The Battle of the Crud

It hit me last night around 10:00 p.m. : The creeping crud, what's going around, or whatever else you want to call it. My husband has had a cold for about a week (probably a sinus infection, but he never goes to see a dr), people around me at my jobs have been succumbing to various respiratory illnesses, some viral and others bacterial.

For me, it's a sinus infection (confirmed: Not the latest influenza virus going around, according to my dr). I do not wait to see how long it will last. I go right for the drugs: Antibiotics, antihistamines, and cough suppressants. I don't mess with this stuff. I get the drugs, get better, then move on. Current favorites: DuraHist-D (an antihistamine), not recommended if you have hypertension (as I do) unless your dr deems it to be well under control (as mine does), Ceftin (antibiotic), and Delsym (cough suppressant, OTC).

Now, if only there were something that could just make me feel better instantly! I won't go into details, but the bottom line is that the drugs treat the symptoms and need a few days before getting the upper hand. The residual aches and other stuff just have to be lived through.

I don't enjoy being ill. I mean, if you're going to have a day off, why not have it when you're well?

No comments: