Sunday, January 06, 2008

Waging War on the House

In the fifth Harry Potter book (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, or OotP as we call it), Harry and friends find themselves in the home of his godfather, Sirius Black, which is located at 12 Grimmauld Place somewhere in London. Sirius' family were strong supporters of the idea that the only magical people worth caring about were "pure blood." When Sirius got himself banged up in Azkaban prison, and after the remaining family members died, only the house elf Kreacher was left to look after the house, and he didn't do a very good job of it. Thus, Harry Potter and the Weasleys took to cleaning up the old house, but it was tough work because the things they would find weren't just icky things to clean up, but poisonous and full of nasty hexes and jinxes. Ron was almost strangled to death by some old robes in a closet, and they had to kill some poisonous doxies that were in the curtains, to name just a couple. Harry described it as "waging war" on the house in order to get it clean.

Well, that's how I feel about my own home. I have to wage a war on it because no matter how I try to clean things up, more stuff comes at me. I swear, my yarn would probably strangle me, as would the fabrics and other crafting stuff. And then there's the general levels of junk throughout the house -- boxes that need throwing away, old pots and pans that should be discarded (except Ed can't part with them). It's kind of a nightmare.

Too bad I don't have a wand.

Or a house elf or two.

No comments: