OK, so we get 2" - 4" of snow overnight. The major streets and thoroughfares are snow-packed and it's nearly impossible to see the lanes. It's still snowing. Schools are canceled, but work is still on.
Honestly -- I called the weather line for my full-time job at 4:30 a.m., at 5:00 a.m., at 5:30 a.m., and at 6:00 a.m. No change. In fact, they hadn't even updated it from yesterday (when, at 5:33 a.m., they announced the base was open as usual). So I got myself together and crawled along at half a snail's pace to the office. it took twice as long. I got in the door around 7:20 a.m., only to discover that at 7:10 the announcement was finally made that we wouldn't be opening until 10:00 a.m. (a 2.5 hour delay).
Man, somebody needs to be smacked around big time for that stupid-a$$ decision!
Part of the trouble is that the general or commander or whoever that makes the decision for a delay lives on the base. That's right: He/She doesn't have to travel 15 miles on snowpacked I-80 to get to the office.
On top of that, the dog was up four times through the night. I called the vet with two words: Rhino Tranquilizer. I don't know that they'll go for it, but I understand they're coming up with something a little stronger than the doggie Prozac they'd given us earlier. Oh, I hope something works! I've been awake and crabby since about 3:30 a.m.